Friday, February 3, 2012

Curvy 3D spaceship


I did this image using three programs. The basic model and texturing were done in Curvy3D, which is available at Curvy3D.com. Curvy probably predates programs like ZBrush but works in the same way by using displacement maps to alter the geometry of your model. This model started as a very basic lathed model but the displacement image really gave it some very cool detail.

I exported the Curvy model as an .obj file and brought it into Carrara 6 Pro to light and render. I also added a bump map to accentuate the details and give the ship a greater sense of scale.

After I rendered the model, I brought the image into Photoshop where I added the background, lens flares and engine exhaust.

From beginning to end, this image took between 2-3 hours.

No comments: